Join Church of the Epiphany-Tempe as we walk with our Savior throughout Holy Week and his journey into Jerusalem and towards the cross. To attend worship in-person, we ask that you sign-up for the services you’d like to attend in advance. You may do by clicking the button below. You will also find instructions for arriving on the day of the service in the paragraphs that follow.
For those who prefer to attend worship online, we invite you to join us on our Vimeo channel or on our YouTube channel. You can find online worship guides for each day further down the page. We look forward to worshipping and traveling with you during this most holy season.
THE DAY OF THE SERVICE:
1. Please arrive no earlier than 30 minutes before the service and no later than 5 minutes before the service.
2. When you arrive, go to the check in table located on the south side of the campus between the church and the parish hall.
3. Once you are checked in, you will be able to get a service bulletin and find a seat.
WHAT TO BRING:
1. Wear a mask, not including any face shields. Masks are required.
2. Sunglasses, sun hat, and sunscreen if you are coming to a daytime service.
3. Check the weather and dress appropriately! The temperatures are warming up quickly. You might also want to bring a bottle of water with you.
Holy Week begins with Palm Sunday and Jesus’s triumphal entry into Jerusalem. We will begin on the basketball court on the northeast side of our property for the blessing of the palms and the procession into our worship space in the courtyard. (Please sign-up in advance to attend in-person services!)
Maundy Thursday begins the most holy three days in the whole Christian year. The Triduum (The Three Days) begins with Maundy Thursday and ends on Saturday night. IN Maundy Thursday, we hear the new commandment that Jesus gives to his followers, and we enter into the ancient practice of footwashing.
Good Friday | 12:00 Noon and 7:00PM In-Person | 7:00PM Online
The Triduum continues with Good Friday – the day on which we hear the retelling of the Passion of Christ. On this day, we pray the Solemn Collects and seek to grow closer to the Crucified One through our prayers and worship. It is a day marked by solemnity.
On this day, the offering is given to the Diocese of Jerusalem to support the ministry of the Church in the Holy Land. You may make a gift online, or you can bring a gift to place in the offering plates that will be available during in-person worship.
The Great Vigil of Easter
The Great Vigil of Easter | 7:00PM In-Person | 7:00PM Online
The Triduum concludes with a retelling of the history of salvation beginning with Genesis and going through the story of the Resurrection. With the renewal of baptismal vows, we hear the first Easter proclamation of the year and celebrate the goodness of God’s lovingkindness.